Hack for local nonprofits looking to make technological improvements.
100 students. 18 hours. Limitless possibilities.We're excited to announce CarlHacks Gives Back, Carleton College's third hackathon. This edition of CarlHacks aims to celebrate Carleton College's sesquicentennial year in Northfield by hacking for local nonprofits looking to make technological improvements.
- Undergrads over the age of 18 from any university in the United States are invited to register.
We'll be accepting all projects that adhere to the rules, but we'll especially be on the lookout for submissions in support of our chosen nonprofit--Project Friendship. Submissions in support of any nonprofit will be eligible for bonus points during judging.
"Project Friendship is 501(c) 3 nonprofit organization that builds self-esteem in children grades 2nd-7th. We match these children with a student mentor from Carleton College or St. Olaf College. Mentoring relationships have lasting benefits to any child. Most mentor-mentee relationships last two or more years, sometimes a lifetime. Mentor relationships benefit children who have switched to a new school, may be struggling with stress from their families, are new to the community, may have trouble making friends at school, or simply need a person to confide in.”
Project Friendship is looking for a new website design and an application for mentors/mentees, more details on their requests are below. They'd love for both the website and application to follow their logo/promo material color schemes, both of which are in this google drive folder: https://goo.gl/9pgY8I
- Target audience is parents (typically of kids ages 7-14), prospective mentors (college students), and some kids (but very few).
- Vision is to show that organization is trustworthy and fun and to embody their new marketing campaign "3 C's"--build confidence, inspire character, and create connections.
- Target audience is mentors (colleges students) and mentees (kids ages 7-14).
- Possible purpose is to push notifications to mentors (i.e. monthly activity suggestions and tips, etc.), but teams should be creative, as its other functions are up to the developers!
Carleton College ITS
Major League Hacking
Usefulness - General
Usefulness - Nonprofit